Thursday, August 11, 2011

Missing Teeth and Starting School

 So , it has been awhile since I have written but at least this time it wasn't a year ... an improvement I believe :D 
  Things have been going good around here , busy with some major life changes ( that is a whole other post ) but overall good. 

  One July 7th Sebastian lost his first tooth and the following week it's wiggly neighbor came out, suddenly he was drooling all over the place and was having trouble pronouncing some words - it was just like when he was a baby ! ;)
                  

I can't help but to smile back at that little gap tooth grin, shows just how much he has grown up. We attempted to go visit the dentist and while he didn't quite make it out the door like he did the first visit, he was so freaked out by all the medical equipment that it was impossible to do anything. Seems we will have to go to a dentist who sedates so they can do the x-rays they need, I was SO hoping to advoid him being put under yet again.

With as many times as this kiddo has been under anesthesia in his short life it seems like everytime we have to do it that we are rolling the dice on having some sort of adverse reaction to it. Of course what has to be done has to be done but rational logic doesn't always win in convincing emotions and nerves !

 Other BIG thing going on in our little world is Sebastian is starting public kindergarten next Monday !! It is a Montessori based school so I am over the moon with that - after researching different schools in the city vs his style of learning and basic personality I can see him reaching his fullest potential in this setting. As many of you know we have been having issues with the whole IEP deal ( what a shocker , huh ? ;) ) so at this point there is NOTHING in the computers about him, his past issues, where he is developmentally or what I have been working with him at home. The downside to this school is they have no ECE classes aside from 2 for the profoundly developmently delayed so that means the only other place for him is in a mainstream class.

  As wonderful as the thought of having him in a "typical" class sounds I know it would be impossible because of the on going potty training ... we are half way there if you catch my drift. Legalities aside, I could not consciously leave him with a teacher who is trying to also teach 20+ other kids with the possibility of a dirty pull-up happening. So much to my amazement a little plan was stitched together until we get this IEP deal figured out, I will hang out in the school and help out during the day then if Sebastian has an accident they can just bring him to me to clean up or if he gets too overstimulated then we can a few quite minutes together.  I am hoping this works out - just flying by the seat of our pants here... lol.   

   I wish I could be overall as happy as I feel about Sebastian being given the shot at a mainstream class without being "pigeonholed" by an IEP  from the get-go but there are still aspects I am rather concerned about that are bothering me. For the sake of everyone's privacy I am not posting those reasons on the blog in a public domain but anyone interested - it is ok to ask in private. 

 Despite my concerns I am looking forward to Monday and seeing how he does! I think he will love it once he gets use to it. I am already in love with his teacher Mrs.F for at least giving him a chance in her class and not discounting him like some people would like to. I know he was "assigned" to her class so really she is kinda stuck with us at least until the IEP is straightened out but it was nice to not be made to be felt as if A HUGE FAVOR was being done for us and he would be shipped out of the school as soon as the ink on the IEP is dry.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I hope all goes well for him in Kindergarten. Am I understanding that his plan is to have you there waiting in the halls the entire time? Hmm. Not sure that's right. I hope this is temporary. Though I admire your willingness to do what it takes. Perhaps school may be just what he needs to make the next step in potty training.

Shylent said...

Susan- For now I will be helping out in library and where ever else the school may need me until we get the whole IEP straightened out. Not so bad - I was planning on going the PTA/volunteer route anyways, maybe not quite so intense but it's not forever and SO worth it to give him a shot in a "regular" classroom.